Mellow Yellow

Yesterday’s landslide visit was something we had in mind as a target since leaving the marina. We weren’t sure we would get close but it was an intriguing walk anyway and as usual involved finding a reason to go on a journey so we could enjoy the journey. We saw some lambs through a hedge on the way there and this rather unusual protuberance on the way back. Shane suggested a slime mould but when I looked them they were mainly a brighter less golden yellow. I asked my naturalist friend Benny who suggested a fungus. So I’ve been looking them up and “yellow brain” is the main contender as far as my short search is concerned. Anyway it was an interesting find. I feel I should find out more about fungi now. 

Yellow brain fungus, perhaps

The walk was very much into unknown territory and we had no idea if we would get close at all but Leanne at the taking in a castle was a bonus as well as a short cut. We admired the ridge and furrow clearly evident in the fields below.

This morning I was up first and out listening to the birds. What a lot there were calling in the sunshine. I just stood and let Merlin do all the work while I drank my coffee. I saw a wren in the hedge and a blackbird on the path and some crows at a distance but Merlin heard robin, wren, song thrush, black cap, rook, magpie, jackdaw, carrion crow, pheasant, great tit, chaffinch and chiffchaff all in under 5 minutes.

I had put in my Big Plastic Count results before breakfast too so felt both relaxed and accomplished. The route for today was back the way we came where a mooring was pretty well guaranteed and no rain was forecast either. There was no rush and Shane got in with a boat SIM swap over job, which went smoothly and got his clippers out to tidy his hair in the open air with no audience but the birds and me to do the final trimming. Another job for the less populated place is getting compost in a hedge so we were well positioned for that too, though the easy peelers’ peels take a bit of work to hide their amber curls.

Shane was driving and drew my attention to something I had tried to snap in the other direction, a crane with name (like boats are named) but this time it was much harder to see as the yellow crane arm was in use and a boat was having it’s hull hosed in front of it.

Crane cradling a narrow boat

We couldn’t remember it’s name and it wasn’t going to be a clear sighting with the boat in the way but I managed to make out the cab had Daisy on the side, though the diesel pump was also in the way now the crane was in a different place. The great yellow sling must be carefully placed to be balanced.

Daisy ready to lift

Another thing I had tried taking picture of in the other direction was a large saltire at some private moorings. The area had plants and bird feeders and on approach I saw another blue and yellow flag I didn’t recognise on one of the boats. As we got closer I could see it wasn’t patriotism but a pastime that was being declared.

Keep your standards high!

A good breeze helped us get a good view.

Cheers to that flag! Let’s drink to that!

Another boat had planted daffodils near the mooring on the boat, on the roof and some inside to enjoy on a rainy day when the hatches were battoned down. We had had some heavy rain in the last few days.

Daffodils, in the outside garden and on deck

It must be their favourite flower!

Daffodils on the roof and in the cabin.

I had a brief drive that took in the straight and wide Newbold tunnel. It hardly seemed worth putting on the lights when you could see right through so easily but it did have some drips and stalagmites to make it feel tunnelly.

When we reached Rugby the same boat we had moored beside before, sharing their ring, was still there, though we realised they had moved back a ring so must have moved in our absence. We tied on to their ring again but then, just as we had moored, they cast off. It wasn’t to leave us but only to cross to the other side as the sign says only I day moorings in this side. I think they might have preferred more manoeuvre space for their reverse and sideways move (and no audience) but she was good humoured and did just fine. And she should have been relaxed given the name of their boat.

Mello moored opposite us

We were ready for lunch and hoped to go to the park cafe. I suspected it might be shut on a Monday but a walk to the park seemed a pleasant enough plan. The plain footpath was brightened by celandines.

Shane walks on while I catch the shiny celandines alongside.

The park cafe was indeed closed but at least we saw more flowers on our way to the centre. Primroses were out in force in the park.

Primrose yellow in the park

No market was there with international street food, like last time, of course, but several other cafes were around. We plumped for a spacious Italian cafe and we were happy with our choices eggs royale for Shane and savoury crêpe with salad for me.

On the way back we met the man from Mello, walking his young beagle. I recognised the dog first and he recognised us as his new neighbours, as he gave a wide smile and a cheery greeting. He seemed mellow too.

Shane has been to the shops and stocked up on golden ale and snacks so it’s cheers to that and a mellow evening ahead for us too.